Wednesday, September 21, 2016

Birdies and Trees

A few more blocks for new grand baby Layla's garden quilt...they will have French knots for eyes.  I have a few more to finish that will be facing right.



I am still trying to follow artist Jean Haines' advice and make three watercolor washes every morning using different colors.  Then see if you can make a painting emerge from the luscious pigment that landed on the paper

I did quite a few using paper about 5.5" x 8.5".  I think it is probably more fun for you to see the painting next to the original wash.  I have also edited some of the finished ones down to 4" x 6" so I can use them for greeting cards.


Lavender and green wash
5 x 8 painting

4x 6 cropped final version
Here is another from beginning to final.

Red wash with salt

5 x 8 Tree painting from red wash

Final 4 x 6 Autumn Trees
And here's one more.

Original "autumn" palette wash.  Cellophane was added when it was wet.

Autumn Jewels, 5 x 8, by Jeanne T. McBrayer
I liked the last one and did not crop it down to a smaller size.

It is really fun to do this kind of painting, just playing with color and pigment and water flow and seeing what emerges.  Thank you, Jean Haines!

No comments: